Maximum distance and precision, minimal disruptions
Horizontal directional drilling, or HDD, is a versatile trenchless pipe installation technique we have been mastering since we first performed it in 1988. We've become a world leader in directional drilling companies by design, building and mastering the use of powerful rigs to place utility lines substantially deeper than conventional trench construction, providing significant cover for crossings under waterways, existing utilities, and underground structures.
Our fleet includes many sizes of rigs, including our largest with drilling thrust/pulling power up to 1.8 million pounds. In the hands of our skilled operators, these machines are capable of placing pipe up to 60 inches in diameter to distances of more than 15,000 feet. Since the early 2000s, we've been at the forefront of pilot hole intersects, an HDD method that allows us to essentially double the length of a borehole by drilling from each side of a project and meeting at a pre-designated point near the middle.
As an HDD contractor, Michels has successfully completed crossings in all 50 states, Canada, along the U.S.-Canada and U.S.-Mexico borders, and internationally. In addition to our land-borne HDD experience, we have also completed many marine crossings - both land-to-water and water-to-water.
Horizontal directional drilling is suitable for installing all types of product pipe including gas, oil, water and electric utilities.
Our Horizontal Directional Drilling Contractor Capabilities
• Alternative delivery, project design and engineering
• Land & marine horizontal directional drilling
• Land-to-water & water-to-water crossings
• More than 80 drilling rigs - medium and heavy
• Capable of 1.8 million pounds of drilling thrust & pulling power
• Capable of boring virtually any ground condition
• Completed HDD crossings in all 50 states, all Canadian provinces, many overseas locations
• Custom fabricated large, specialized equipment, available for worldwide mobilization